Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Not in My Strength

Then said Elijah unto the people, I, even I only, remain a prophet of the Lord; but Baal's prophets are four hundred and fifty men. Let them therefore give us two bullocks; and let them choose one bullock for
themselves, and cut it in pieces, and lay it on wood, and put no fire under: and I will dress the other bullock, and lay it on wood, and put no fire under: And call ye on the name of your gods, and I will call on the name of the Lord: and the God that answered by fire, let him be God. And all the people answered and said, It is well spoken. I Kings 18:22-24

Elijah saw that the people could not make up their minds in whom to serve, so he proposed a test to prove which "god" was more powerful. The God that answered by fire would be worshipped as the true God.

The prophets of Baal began their chanting and praying to their god. But nothing had happened.

Then Elijah cried out to his God, "And...Elijah the prophet came near, and said, Lord God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, let it be known this day that thou art God in Israel.." I kings 18:36. Those on the mountain heard his sincere prayer and saw the fire come down from Heaven. The reason that Elijah prevailed in this test was not because of his skill or effort, but because of the mighty hand of God.

None of us can make it on our own! The christian life lived in our own strength is destined to be a failure.
Only through the strength of our God is our victorious Christian life possible. In the book of Philippians this verse comes to my mind. "I can do all things through Christ which strengthened me".

Have you ever been frustrated trying to live your Christian life in your own strength? Don't go through another day in your own strength, but look to God for help.

I gave this devotion at our Ladies meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment